Sunday, November 14, 2010

Prep prior to surgery

After deciding to get surgery, we set up a date for the surgery, I chose a Friday so I would have the weekend to recover and lessen the amount of work days I would miss.  The doctor had me do some exercises with a 1 pound weight to strengthen the shoulder prior to surgery.  They ordered my sling as I would need that the day of surgery (they put it on me before I woke up from the surgery).  The sling is what they called the "gunslinger" sling which would put my arm more in front of me than against my stomach. 

I had another appointment with the doctor before the surgery to go over more details of the surgery.  Two days before the surgery, I went and had my pre-admit where I consulted with the anesthesiologist.  He discussed how they would "knock" me out for the procedure.  Basically they were going to give me some "happy juice" in my IV, then when I was out, I would have a tube inserted in my throat , they would keep me out with gas, and also they would give me a "shoulder block", which is a nerve block that would help with pain after the surgery as I would not feel my arm for 12 - 18 hours after the surgery.  The shoulder block consists of a needled inserted into my neck and they would inject something around the main nerve going down my arm.

Besides that, my wife and I readied ourselves for my being out of commission with helping out around the house for awhile.  We arranged for our two kids to go to the grandparents for a few days so they would not be around when I got home from surgery.  I did all the chores that needed to be done in the yard, and finished off the "honey do list". 

My wife bought me some pajamas (my mother did as well) for my post surgery recovery.  The best ones for a shoulder procedure seems to be two piece pajamas with the top one being a button up.  We moved a chair that reclined into our bedroom in the hopes I would be able to sleep in it, as apparently sleeping horizontal is not what most people are able to do for awhile after shoulder surgery.  Also got some ice packs that you can refreeze as after surgery  you are supposed to keep ice on the shoulder.

Then I waited for the day to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment